S&MM SoundOff is carrying an interesting article on : Working with Analysts. It’s worth carrying Dave Stein’s conclusion in full:
Running an analyst firm is fraught with surprises, at least for me, including:* Non-stop calls from vendors of all sizes
* Invitations to audit training classes of every type and in every location
* The worst pitches I have ever heard
* The best pitches I have ever heard
* Meeting some truly wonderful and committed CEOs
* A fair amount of vendor hype
My point: Working with vendors, like selling, is not a seat-of-the-pants activity. It requires senior management support, funding, strategy, planning and near-flawless execution.