|How to respond to the year’s biggest shakeup|
Late yesterday we heard the biggest analyst industry news in years. By rolling up four notable analyst firms, and many other businesses, Informa Tech will be as large as Forrester Research.
One of the largest US-headquartered analyst organizations, IHS Markit Technology, is joining Ovum, Heavy Reading and Tractica to become part of Informa Tech. With revenues around $350m, across research, events, training and media, the new business will be similar in size to Forrester, but very different in its business model, form and global reach.
Both side of the business involve acquisitions. IHS Markit has integrated business headquartered in the US (Infonetics, iSuppli), Europe (SCreen Digest, IMS) and Asia (Displayback, Displaysearch). Informa has a similar litany of purchases.
As a former Ovum analyst, I was delighted to be asked by the Institute for Industry Analyst Relations to assess the merger (see analystrelations.org). Informa Tech is to have a wide reach, but will be especially strong in four areas:
Telecoms and networks
Media and broadcast.
Analysts in any of these firms now have audiences that are larger and more global. We’re recommending our clients take five actions.
- Be proactive. Don’t play the losers game of reacting to report schedules.
2. Any positive coverage you have from any of these firms is now worth more. Use our tips for amplifying positive analysts.
3. Expect account managers on both sides to push hard to close annual renewals early. Don’t be scared to ask for a great deal now. Take our guidance on getting the best deal.
4. Take advantage of the summer. The purchase will complete in July or August. Now is the right time to make sure that market categorizations are in your favour and your positive analysts are better informed and thus come out ahead in any shake-up. Borrow our summer strategy.
5. Plan now for MWC Barcelona next year. More analysts firms will be there than at any other event, and Informa Tech will have dozens of people there. Plan early.
Do you need to get Informa Tech on your radar? Need help in re-prioritizing your analysts? CCgroup’s specialized analyst relations team is here to help.