Each year, Influencer Relations co-sponsors two awards series for the analyst industry: the Analyst Firm Awards and the Circle Award. Both awards are based on surveys conducted by the Analyst Observatory at the University of Edinburgh Business School.
- The Analyst Firm Awards (AFA) recognize the most valuable analyst firms, and to recognize firms that have won a leading role in specific market segments. 18 firms were shortlisted for the first awards in 2014, and the final results led to 340,000 twitter impressions in the first 48 hours.
- The Circle Awards celebrate the analyst relations teams whose activity and outcomes are both at the highest level.
Analyst Firm Awards
The Analyst Value Survey, which we have run each year since 2000, is the sustainable engine for the award. It reaches out beyond the analyst relations community and allows us to recognize the value delivered to the users of analyst firm services. The awards recognize the leading analyst firms, chosen by the value delivered to users, in market segments which vary from year to year. The methodology for the Analyst Firm Awards, explained in a series of blog posts (1, 2, 3), use the survey data to identify firms that are most used, most valuable, and most relied upon.
Six AFA categories
The Analyst Firm Awards are published in six categories. The ten firms highest-ranked in each category are considered to be award winners:
- Americas: north, central and south America (2018 award here).
- Global: the rest of the world (2018 award here).
- Enterprise: covering Integration; Database Management; Security & Privacy; Risk, Governance & Compliance; Fraud Detection; Open Source; Human Capital Management; Mergers & Acquisitions; CRM & Customer Service; Social; Total Cost of Ownership; Enterprise Applications; Software; Application Development; Application Infrastructure; Internet Applications; IT Administration; Digital Commerce; E-Commerce; Business Process; and BPM (2018 award here).
- Telecoms & Networking: covering Wireless; Telecoms Services; Telecoms Equipment; Telecoms Network Architecture; Mobile; Virtualization; Cloud Communications; Networks; and Unified Communications (2018 award here).
- Services & Cloud: covering Strategy; Platform as a Service; IT Services; Outsourcing; Cloud Applications; Cloud Infrastructure; Cloud Platforms; Business Intelligence; Internet of Things; Analytics; and Big Data (2018 award here).
- Marketing & Policy: covering Consumer Technology; Small/Medium Business; Channels; Law & Policy; Analyst Relations; Content Marketing; and Marketing (2018 award here).
The 2018 Winners
We announced the results at a launch lunch hosted at a prestigious location in central London. The 2018 awards lunch, at the Royal Society of Medicine on Monday 10 September, was attended by representatives of ten of the 14 top firms. The winners are listed below. Firms with an asterisk after their names were also winners in 2017.
- 451 Research *
- Analysys Mason
- Business Informer Intelligence
- CXP Group (including PAC/BARC) *
- Enterprise Management Associates
- Enterprise Strategy Group
- Everest Group *
- Forrester Research *
- Frost & Sullivan *
- Gartner *
- Global Data *
- HfS Research *
- IDC *
- IHS Markit
- ISG *
- KPMG *
- Ovum *
At the core of the AVS methodology is asking participants what analyst capabilities they value, to see how high a value they put on that capability and then to see how well each of the analyst firms delivers each of those capabilities. The Analyst Firm Awards leverage that unequally-strong data.
Each analyst firm’s impact varies greatly from segment to segment. Vendors need a different portfolio of analyst services from end-users, and end-users of analytics value those services differently from their colleagues in marketing. That also leads us to look at specific analyst services, and we’ve discovered exactly how the value of those services differs from segment to segment. To deliver more value, firms need to reach more people or provide more, and better, services across the full range of services. It’s unsurprising, of course, that Gartner and Forrester lead comprehensively in most segments.
Free graphics for use by approved AFA winners are available on request. The Awards Customization Service allows customized artwork to be produced by our designer. Contact us for the brochure: The modest fee goes to the designer, not to us.